Project Spotlight: Sinchan
Sinchan is a shelter for children of sex workers in the South Parganas, West Bengal. Sinchan is one of the many projects coordinated by Nishtha, an entirely community-based grass-roots level women’s organization started in the 70's that works for the empowerment and development of down trodden women living in the rural areas of West Bengal.
With the support of ASHA and AID, it has been functioning as a day shelter since 2010. Sinchan is currently providing protection, relief and ensured essential rights for the children (ages 3-14 years) who are a part of the shelter.
- To ensure the children of sex workers become well adjusted by providing protection and shelter during day, formal education and access to resources that ensure healthy habits.
- To provide a conducive atmosphere for children born to commercial sex workers by keeping them away from abusive language, running errands to get liquor and drugs, physical abuse, and above all, a safe environment for joyous learning.
- To ensure education of these children through formal schooling.
- Running a full fledged preparatory centre for the children of the Baruipur red light area in Nishtha’s safe shelter.
- Arrange special coaching/tuition for the high school aged children and prepare them for their school work.
- Ensuring retention and regular attendance of the school-going children.