"Sinchan” is a shelter for children of sex workers in 24 South Parganas, West Bengal. Sinchan is one of the many projects coordinated by “Nishtha”, a totally community based grass roots level women’s organization started in the 70s that works for the empowerment and development of down trodden women living in the rural areas of West Bengal.
Sinchan started out as a night shelter for the children of sex workers in 24 South Parganas five years ago in 2006. With the support of ASHA and AID, it has been functioning as a day shelter as well since 2010. Sinchan is currently providing protection, relief and ensured essential rights for the 30 children(ages 3-14 years) who are a part of the shelter.
Ensure the children of sex workers become part of mainstream society by providing protection during day time, formal education and growing healthy habits.
- To provide a conducive atmosphere for children born to commercial sex workers by keeping them away from abusive language, running errands to get liquor and drugs, physical abuse and above all, a safe environment for joyous learning.
- To ensure education of these child in formal schools / institutions.
- Running a full fledged preparatory centre for the children of Baruipur red light area in Nishtha’s safe shelter.
- Arrange special coaching / tuition for the High School going children and prepare them for their next day’s tasks in schools.
- Ensuring retention of the school going children and their admission in formal school.